Community Development Projects
This is a space intended to highlight local community development projects. If you would like your community highlighted, please contact Denise Cline. Thank you!
Taking Pride in Alpena
Businesses, citizens, governments, and agencies working together to improve the appearance and vitality of the US 23 South Corridor area in Alpena Township from Mich-e-ke-wis Park to Squaw Bay and east to Lake Huron.
- Redevelop two miles of the commercial corridor from Bare Point Plaza to Mich-e-ke-wis Park to make it pedestrian friendly with green lighting, benches, trees and artwork. Reduce the number of driveways and implement service roads, where feasible, to reduce congestion and traffic crashes.
- Adhere to current Placemaking strategies to create vibrant, multi-use pedestrian friendly places with amenities such as entertainment, activities, and walkways where people want to live, work, and visit.
- Increase recreational amenities by adding parks at the 45th Parallel; with an interactive kiosk and ship sculpture; and Alvar Shoreline on Partridge Point, with a canoe/kayak launch tying into the Lake Huron Blueways Route. Connect these two parks with bike paths and upgrade and extend the current bike path on the east side of US 23, and add new bike paths to the east of US 23- creating loops.
- Improve aesthetics by executing a multifaceted cleanup effort involving annual highway cleanups, painting projects, and flower plantings.
- Reduction of blight through ordinance enforcement and grants.