Northeast Michigan Broadband Expansion
Northeast Michigan - Broadband Priorities
Linking our communities to the global marketplace is one of our top priorities. Everyone has a stake in making sure our residents and business owners are well connected. What does it mean to our local economy to be better connected?
- Being connected to broadband provides households with an estimated $1,850 annual economic benefit and increases home values by 3.1% on average.
- Farmers see an estimated 6% increase in revenue when connected to broadband.
- Small businesses with websites have higher annual revenue.
- Tele-medicine adds an estimated $522,000 to rural economies and reduces hospitalizations.
We're working to:
- Create opportunities for ISP's to connect to existing vertical assets (towers). You can see the Vertical Asset Inventory for all of Northeast Michigan by clicking here.
- Ensure streamlined permitting. An evaluation of existing zoning ordinances and right of way permit requirements determines barriers to broadband installation.
- Promote broadband grant programs.
- Create partnerships to Raise Awareness.