Job Seeker Resources & Tools
There are a variety of online tools and resources available to you for a successful job search. Feel free to utilize the information below to jump start your path to employment.
- Employability Checkup - This tool provides a snapshot of your chances of finding a career in a particular field based on your education and experience, desired income level, and preferred employment location.
- Careeronestop.org - Providing tools for job seekers, laid-off workers, students, businesses and career professionals.
- Salaryexpert.com - SalaryExpert® was launched in 2000 to provide reporting on salaries and cost of living from compensation professionals. Our tools help people make informed decisions when planning careers and searching for jobs.
- Health Careers in Michigan - The Careers in Health website provides comprehensive information about careers in the healthcare field, the skills and education needed to pursue various careers, licensing requirements and employment information.
- Benefits.gov - Benefits.gov was launched in an effort to provide citizens with easy, online access to government benefit and assistance programs.
- O*netonline.org - O*NET OnLine has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more!
- Project Working Mom - Between your kids’ needs and your work headaches, the last thing you need is another time commitment, right? Wrong! Education is the first thing you need. A college degree is the clearest route to self-fulfillment and financial security. Learn how online education can fit in to your busy schedule, and see how other working moms have achieved their educational goals.
- Helping Hand - This site helps Michigan citizens facing economic hardship find the services they need. Simply click on one of the five tabs below for links to information about jobs and training, unemployment benefits, health care, family support and housing. Then click on the particular link that describes the help you're seeking.
- Discover Your Skills - No matter whether you're entering the job market for the first time or changing careers after 20 years, and no matter whether you’re interested in a specific industry or just trying to learn about different options, there is good news: Right now, there are hundreds of thousands of jobs just waiting to be filled by people with the right skills. To be considered, you’ll need to learn these skills and earn the credentials employers are looking for. Which is exactly what Discover Your Skills is all about. From general questions about choosing a career to education and training options to inspirational videos and information about specific industries, this site can put you on the path to a well-paying, much-needed job. The kind of job we all depend on to maintain our way of life. Your future starts now. Good luck.
- BrainTrack - BrainTrack's Career Guide helps visitors evaluate career options and find schools. The guide offers data on hundreds of careers that typically require higher education for entry or advancement and features links to thousands of schools.
- Job Accomodation Network - The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is the leading source of free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues. Working toward practical solutions that benefit both employer and employee, JAN helps people with disabilities enhance their employability, and shows employers how to capitalize on the value and talent that people with disabilities add to the workplace.
- Green Careers - The eco-friendly business sectors pave the way for promoting a green environment while encouraging job creation and economic growth. While green job growth has experienced periodic dips and setbacks, its overall trajectory is distinctly positive. This positive growth has resulted in exploding interest in college degrees and professional green careers in sustainable energy, agriculture, health, law and practically every other segment of the economy. Explore the nation’s top green careers and the road map to landing one.
Education Resources & Tools
- Mind Tools - This website is here to help you learn the practical, straightforward skills you need to excel in your career.
- RNtoBSN - RNtoBSN.org’s mission is plain: Further the education of new and established nurses. We are a group of professional nurses, educators, writers and editors committed to furthering nursing education, particularly as it concerns RNtoBSN and standard/accelerated BSN programs.
Basic Needs Budget Calculator - shows how much it takes for families to afford the minimum basic necessities.
Literacy Information – A professional learning platform for adult educators. Tools to help improve the literacy skills of their current and future employees and strengthening adult education services in communities.