How do I search for a job?
Where to look for a job.
You've heard there are lots of jobs available out there. Here's how to find them!
- Start with Pure Michigan Talent Connect, the state’s largest public jobs database. You can post your resume and search for jobs throughout Michigan. Be sure to check out other job boards as well, such as Monster and Indeed. There are also specialized job boards for those in certain careers, such as Dice for IT careers. Do a little research online to find what works for you. Many of these online job boards can even send you daily or weekly new job postings right to your email inbox if you choose to sign up for email alerts.
- Some employers may choose to post their job openings on Craigslist. Be cautious when job searching on this website, as many job postings may be fraudulent.
- Check out your local newspaper classifieds. Also check for online newspaper websites. Even if you do not live in a large town, be sure to check the classified ads in the larger area newspapers. Newspaper ads are expensive and employers want to make sure they get the most views for their buck. Chances are, they're advertising in the newspapers that have the largest distribution.
- Learn to use social media as a tool in your job search. Many companies will post their job openings on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook. You can also follow pages or groups that specialize in local job postings or job seeker tips, such as the Michigan Works! Northeast Consortium Twitter and Facebook feeds.
- Don’t forget the importance of networking, both in-person and online. Many jobs are never posted by employers, but are filled via word-of-mouth recommendations. Let people know you're looking!